Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9 year old yellow lab who developed a very disturbing

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old yellow lab who developed a very disturbing cough about 1 month ago. I took her to the vet, they did an xray and couldn't really find anything wrong. They said they did show some fluid in there and that she did have kind of a high temp. When she coughs she would spit up this thick yellow spit. Sometimes would spit out and sometimes swallow. They said it could be a sign of her heart deteriorating and put her on a pill and also gave her a water pill to take until she stopped coughing. She was on those pills for about two weeks and her cough was almost non existant so we took her off the water pill as they suggested. Then after a few days, the cough came back, but not as liquid sounding as before. But it's a very deep cough and her entire body shakes when she does it. She seems in pain and it acts up again when she's moving fast or excited about something. Any suggestions what to do for her or what could be the cause? I also noticed she dropped some weight when she was on the water pill (about 10 lbs). I'm hoping it's just from that and not another problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help.Since she did respond to the diruetic (water pill), then this does sound like she is in early heart failure. The very best for her would be to have her heart disease specifically diagnosed (is it a heart muscle disease, is it a deteriorating heart valve, is it heartworm disease, etc.) and then specifically treated. We do have specialist in cardiology, so if you'd like, I'd recommend seeing such a specialist. Your vet will have the names of veterinary cardiologists that are close to you. Your general vet may also be able to thoroughly diagnose you dog. This will probably take an echocardiogram, and EKG, and possibly a follow-up xray, plus a routine blood profile and a heartworm test. Hope this is helpful, but please let me know what further questions you may have.Dr. Barbara