Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 3 yrs old mixed breed lab and collie he has seizers

Customer Question

my dog is 3 yrs old mixed breed lab and collie he has seizers about every 3 to 4 months
he has had everyblood test ever neg.it last about 4 to 5 min. is this life threading?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Rick. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I am glad to hear that Buddy's blood work has all been normal. If we can rule out systemic, organ, and metabolic issues; then our top suspect for Buddy's signs would be epilepsy (which is actually quite common in dogs with collie heritage). Therefore, at this stage, if you are seeing seizures this often (we tend to say less then every 6 months), we'd want to think about treating these medically. Therefore, you may want to ring your vet about starting Buddy on Phenobarbital. This is a life time treatment but can reduce their threshold for seizures and therefore reduce the frequency in which he has them. As well, if he were a particularly difficult dog to manage, there are other medications they can use alongside this to help him.
As well, I would strongly advise speaking to your vet about rectal Diazepam. This is something we like our epileptic dog owners to have on hand should their dogs have a seizure. This just ends the seizure quicker and reduces the risk of harm (exhaustion, brain damage, blindness, etc) that can be seen with long seizures like those you reported with Buddy.
Overall, seizures can be dangerous for dogs (especially if they are in clusters, long or frequent). And in this case if you are seeing these every 3-4 months, then it would be ideal to consider treating this to help reduce this for him and help him live a more normal life.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )