Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog is bleeding from the mouth from my other dog attacking

Customer Question

my dog is bleeding from the mouth from my other dog attacking him. its a slow bleed but I don't know how to stop it. what can I do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,First thing to do is to separate the two dogs if you have not already done that; two different rooms, doors closed, for at least 24 hours...Second, I would get an ice pack or a bag of frozen vegetables, wrap it in a small towel and gently press it onto the side of the face that is bleeding. Try to do this so that your dog isn't scared and try to be gentle; speak softly and don't force it; if he'll take it, give him small treats he likes or let him lick peanut butter off a spoon, while you're holding the ice pack there. If possible, hold it there for at least 5 minutes then repeat 5 minutes later. That should stop the bleeding. If you are still seeing continuous bleeding after that, it might be a much deeper wound and it may require sutures; I would then take him over to the nearest vet ER so that he could be evaluated.Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Gene