Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

One yr old female, occassionally I notice her hind leg straightens

Customer Question

One yr old female, occassionally I notice her hind leg straightens out for a minute, limps for a bit then continues but twice within a day from the next, her hind legs give out for a few minutes and I message her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Based on what you have described, I have 2 major concerns for your lass. First, if this has only recently started, then it is possible that she has a strain, laxity, partial tear, or rupture of the cruciate ligament in her knee. Otherwise, and my top suspicion if she has always had these little episodes, is that she may have a luxating patella. This is where the knee cap pops out due to her having been born with too shallow a knee groove for it. When this happens, the knee cap gets pushed to the side of the knee and the leg cannot bend. Often it will pop back in (sometimes they bunny hop to force it back) and then they can bend knee as normal. And I would not that we do not tend to intervene in mild cases, if she is doing this a few times a day or the leg is getting stuck straight for longer periods of time; then surgery may be indicated to correct this.
Overall, these would be our 2 main concerns for the signs you have reported. Therefore, if she is due a vaccine soon, consider moving that appointment up so that her vet can check this for her. This is something they can check on examination. And if either is suspect, then you may want to have them xray to see how severe this is and whether surgery would be best for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )