Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had an infected paw. He is on antibiotics. The paw was

Customer Question

my dog had an infected paw. He is on antibiotics. The paw was healing,and I noticed a blister that looks like it has blood in it,I'm concerned, and my vet is not in.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear about Fritzie's foot! Is the blister on a different part of the paw? Are you able to keep him from licking it? Is there any chance you could send a photo (CLICK HERE) for me to review? Thank you!There might be a slight delay in my response as I am leaving work for home in just a few moments and will answer as soon as I am able and home if I miss you at work...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am on-line another 30 minutes this evening to assist you. Things I would do until you can have your vet evaluate the area:
- no licking! Licking introduces bacteria where there might be improvement of the infection so keeping from licking is key
- epsom salt soak x 10 minutes
- oatmeal-based dog shampoo on the area or if your veterinarian dispensed an antibacterial shampoo on the area that is even better. 10 minutes before rinsing then pat dry
- benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours to reduce itch and allow Fritzie to rest comfortably
Hopefully that will get you through the night if I miss you this evening. I hope he recovers swiftly from this step backwards in his recovery!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I am checking in on you and Fritzie to see how his foot is healing? I am sorry I missed you yesterday, were you able to get him to your vet today? I would love an update when you are able...
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!