Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had the cruciate ligament surgery the end of Feb. We

Customer Question

My dog had the cruciate ligament surgery the end of Feb. We kept him quiet, did the rehab exercises and very slowly introduced him to stairs, etc. He seemed to have recovered but last week he acted as though he had re-injured the same knee. He limped on 3 legs the first day and almost a week later still can't put his full weight on this leg. I am trying to keep him as quiet as possible and not allowing him to jump on sofas or beds or get into the car. What do you think has caused this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. What kind of cruciate surgery did he have? The options include a lateral suture technique: performed typically by your normal vet and does not involve cutting of the bone; A TPLO (tibial plateau leveling osteotomy): performed by a board certified veterinary surgeon and is expensive, also requiring cutting the bone and placing a plate on the bone; or a TTA (tibial tuberosity advancement): performed by either a vet or surgeon and involves a cutting the bone and placing an implant. Also, what medications is your dog on for pain and inflammation (if any)? Is your dog overweight (you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them and he should have a big tuck under the belly)?Any recent x-rays since he began limping again?