Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Have a 15.5 yr old Samoyed who has rear end weakness the last

Customer Question

Have a 15.5 yr old Samoyed who has rear end weakness the last week it has become very difficult for her to get up. She is on pred since Thursday. Seemed to be helping but she is having a hard time today. No overweight and has been very active. Any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and would like to help.
This hind limb weakness is most likely due to Discospodylitis which is arhritis within the vertebrae along with simple arthritis blocking part of the nerve supply. The steroids are a last ditch effort since they can cause problems in older dogs.
The best thing you can do for now is to be sure to give a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin, available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to her joints to ease discomfort.
Ask your vet about Adequan injections....this also can add lubrication to the joints and help Charlie feel more comfortable.
Besides the Tramadol, Metacam and steroids, there are other options that may help your sweet Charlie and they are very much worth looking into.
Does that make sense? Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Sincerely, ***** *****