Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 30lb King Charles ate my grandsons Thorazine 100mg. What

Customer Question

my 30lb King Charles ate my grandsons Thorazine 100mg. What shoudl I do. My Vet is closed today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did he eat this?
Did he vomit when you gave the peroxide?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not given him the peroxide as I wanted to make sure that was ok.. No one saw him eat the pill just that it was missing from my grandsons morning meds. He did it approximately 1 1/2 ago and now he seems tired.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying,
Absolutely, we do want to give this if it has been <2 hours and we suspect he has had the tablet. This is especially important since this is quite an overdose for his size (when using this medication a 30lb dog would only have ~8mg at most). Just to note, adverse signs that would be a risk here include drooling, constipation, sedation, tremors, and low blood pressure.
In any case, we do want to induce vomiting now as long as he isn't very depressed (since we don't want him to aspirate any vomit into his lungs).To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Overall, this is a very high dose for him if he did eat the tablet. Therefore, it is best to err on the side of caution in this case. So, if he isn't overly sedate, then induce vomiting now. Otherwise consider starting him on activated charcoal from your local pharmacy. And if you do see him become severely sedate or any of those signs I mentioned, then we may need to trek to an ER vet for IV fluids to flush this out and keep his blood pressure from crashing.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :