Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a hair ball . He caugh but can not get it out he

Customer Question

My dog has a hair ball . He caugh but can not get it out he cew his hair all the time I Brussels him often but he sheds a lot how do I help to get the hair ball out he pants all the time he has water but will not drink when he is panting what can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for an answer
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good morning and welcome, I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and would like to answer your question. I know you think that Zumba may have a hair ball but dogs do not get hair balls like cats do. This cough you are hearing is most likely due to a Tracheobronchitis or kennel cough or other problem that is causing this terrible cough. The best thing to do is to give Zumba Robitussin at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of his weight every 8 hrs to calm down the cough. If this is Tracheobronchitis, this is a self limiting disease that will resolve on its own. Have your vet examine Zumba if he does not respond to this medication. Does that make sense to you?