Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My friends 3 year old Queensland disappeared in the Sierras

Customer Question

My friends 3 year old Queensland disappeared in the Sierras during a horrible thunder storm (Dog terrified by thunder and fireworks), for 16 days, the owner, an experienced search and rescue Sheriff of 36 years traveled the back country searching. On Sunday she was located hanging out at his horse trailer. THey stayed there and have seen her but she will not come to ANYONE. Her owners are devastated and staying there trying to get her to come. She seems to be in great condition but not recognizing them. She is possibly in a survival mode. This area has many black bears and a family of vicious mountain lions. Is there any suggestion to get her to recognize them or get her back to them so they can care for her. THey are so very devastated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.I am so sorry to hear about this dog- this must be a terribly scary situation. If they have already tried luring her with the usual (yummy smelly foods, her toys, etc.) and she will not come here are a couple ideas I have that might work: - Consider a live trap: they sell these at most tractor supply and other such stores, though to find one big enough you may have to shop around. They can bait it with things she likes and see if they can catch her that way. Please be aware that they may catch wildlife this way as well so as I am sure your friend knows, use caution when releasing caught wildlife. - This might be difficult with so much wildlife in the area, but if an entrance to the house could be established for her such that she could re-enter the home on her own terms, that might work. It sounds like she is very scared and apprehensive of being caught, but perhaps if she could enter the home on her own she would. - I also always recommend setting things that smell like home somewhere safe outside (her bed, unwashed clothing items that smell like her owners, her toys, etc.). Sometimes a pet that knows where home is but is scared to return to it, will find comfort in this so it may help entice her to feel comfort at her home again. - I also always recommend alerting the neighborhood to the lost pet: posters, postings on social media (Facebook, craigslist, and such) and alerting local shelters and vets, are always an important step to take so people can alert the owner when there has been a sighting of the pet and potentially help in the capture. I hope this information helps and that your friends are able to get their pup back. Please let me know if you have any other questions and please remember to rate my answer once you are satisfied. All the best to your friends and their pup,Dr. Drea