Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is kind of finicky. Sometimes he holds out

Customer Question

My dog is kind of finicky. Sometimes he holds out for table scraps. Last night he ate well w/ no probs. this morning only dry kibble in his bowl. He didn't eat it. about an hour ago he was out in the yard with me and ate a little bit of grass. Not too unusual. He jus threw up a little bit of water and stomach bile. Not too unusual either. but I noticed in the mess is a little bit of grass and the outsides of a foxtail!!!
Hopefully you in california and know what foxtails are. Should I be concerned? What can I do? My vet closed another1-1/2 hours. Do I need to rush him to emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Marshall. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I am used to foxtails here in New Mexico, and I have heard your California foxtails are really bad. If this were my own dog, I would get a good look into the throat, under the tonsils, etc. This can require sedating the dog, to get a really good look. If he is not gagging or having difficulty swallowing, that is a good sign. Going to the emergency vet is not a bad idea, but if your vet is open that soon, it might be best to see the vet that knows you and Marshall, if he is not vomiting, gagging, or distressed at all.