Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an 11 month old male pomeranian. Yesterday morning

Customer Question

Hi. I have an 11 month old male pomeranian. Yesterday morning and once sometime in the afternoon he had a bout of diarrhea. His behavior was what I would consider normal. I dropped him off at the neighbors this morning and when I arrived to pick him up, the neighbor told me he started to vomit clear fluid approximately two hours ago, and that he also vomited clear fluid once in the morning. Since he has been home, he vomited a small amount of frothy white liquid twice. In the last half hour, he dry heaved a few times. He's tired, and currently laying down, which isn't out of the ordinary for him at this time of the day. This happened approximately two months back, however, he had diarrhea for two days, it stopped, he then vomited once or twice the next day and then he was completely fine thereafter. On Sunday, I fed him steak and found the neighbors (two little kids) feeding him whip cream. Could this have exacerbated something undiagnosed from the past, or do you feel that this is just a case of him eating something not agreeable to his agai tract? I am also concerned that this could possibly be bloat? I pal payed his abdomen and it's not tender, nor is there any abdominal distention. Should I take him to the vet? Or should I wait and see if this resolves on its own over the next few hours. I am withholding food, however of course not water. Thanks for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs approximately 10 pounds right now. I did look at his guns and in comparison to my other pomeranian (littermates) yes, his gums do appear to be pale. That's really worrying me now. They don't look really pale, but slightly paler than his brother's gums.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't thrown up anything at all in the last hour and a half. He seems slightly tired, but again, nothing out of the ordinary. Otherwise his behavior is completely normal.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.In this case I would recommend a hands on examination if you are seeing his gums slightly pale. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room while fasting. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Georgie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter