Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog just vomited and looks like it contains a piece of gristle

Customer Question

My dog just vomited and looks like it contains a piece of gristle about size of dime. I never feed him table scraps & he is on canned food from the vet. He has been vomiting off & on for last 2 weeks. Stomach x-rays show nothing. Is this anything relevant I need to address? That is the gristly like substance?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has been vomiting on and off for the past two weeks and now has vomited a dime sized piece of gristle. Even though you only feed him canned food from his veterinarian sometimes dogs find things on their own to eat, despite our best efforts. It is possible that he has had this piece of gristle stuck in his stomach for the past couple of weeks, causing intermittent obstruction to his outflow tract causing him to vomit. Gristle is soft tissue and wouldn't show up on radiographs so that makes sense. It is possible that now that the gristle is gone his vomiting will stop. However it is possible that there may be other pieces in his stomach. If the vomiting continues it would make sense to have him go through endoscopy to look for more pieces.At this point I would take watch and see approach to see if his vomiting continues. I don't think that you need to do anything at this point other than observe him.Please let me know if you have any further questions.