Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

Our 4 month old Maltese is usually everywhere and waiting

Customer Question

Hi our 4 month old Maltese is usually everywhere and waiting for us downstairs when we wake up he's usually first to the gate. Well this morning he stayed laying down and he got up for a second to walk to other side of kitchen to see my wife then went and laid back down. He's shaking slightly like he's cold and there was some vomit. It was all dog food. He's drinking water and urinating but I did notice yesterday he didn't poop and still hasn't. Also I rubbed his belly and applied some pressure and he didn't wimper any incase that info is needed. Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you! I am sorry to hear that Jaxx isn't acting himself. I am a bit concerned about him given the signs you note. Though they are fairly non-specific and could be caused by many things, one possible cause is an obstruction of the intestinal tract. Given his age and how much young pups love eating things they shouldn't, his lack of defecation and his vomiting, this would be a top concern of mine. Since an obstruction is life-threatening, I do recommend he see a veterinarian promptly. They will examine him and likely take some x-rays to see if there is an obstruction. Though you note he doesn't seem tender to the touch of his belly, his shaking suggests possible pain/discomfort and I worry that is the case given his change in behavior- he sounds like a painful puppy to me. This is consistent with an obstruction, but could also be from GI discomfort. Gas buildup from a GI issue for example, can be quite painful. I am sorry to not have a more optimistic answer, but with proper treatment and care, even if this is an obstruction he will likely be just fine. Thank you for your question and I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions and once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Best,Dr. Drea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just threw up the water he woofed down and I put out some chicken broth but he's not wanting anything
Ok, yes, this is quite concerning. Though it could simply be an upset stomach, the fact that he is not passing feces and cannot keep anything down (throwing it up) is very suspicious of an obstruction blocking his digestive tract. Obstructions can be very painful and can be life threatening, as they can cause various complications including death of the tissues of the digestive tract. They are time sensitive so my recommendation is that he see a vet now. Best case scenario he simply has an upset stomach, but in the scenario of an obstruction he may need surgery to save his life. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes will find vet now
Ok, great. I am sorry to not have better news, but I am confident with some vet care he will be likely be fine. Let me know how he does! -Dr D.