Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Just birthed a litter of pups..italian greyhounds...her 3rd

Customer Question

just birthed a litter of pups..italian greyhounds...her 3rd litter...never saw so much blood in all my years 4 pups total last 2 dead first 2 are alive but not right...their color looks like it has a film over them and their skin is sticky to touch
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you have not had an expert help you before now. How are the puppies, and the mother doing? Do you still need help with them? Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TWO PUPS ...THE FIRST 2 WERE ALIVE BUT HAVE DIED...LAST 3 WERE BORN DEAD AND I TRIED TO REVIEVE...BUT COULDN'T.... THIS BIRTH WAS DIFFERENT AS ON THE FIRST 2 PUPS THAT CAME QUICKLY ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER AND MORE THAN 1 BOWL FULL OF BLOOD WAS LOST AFTER EACH PUP I WAS WORRIED BLUE WAS GONNA HEMMORAGE...BUT SHE IS FINE....I AM THINKING THIS WAS SOMETHING TOXIC MAYBE TREAT RELATED AS PUPS SKIN WAS WEIRD...LOOKED LIKE A FILM OVER IT DULL LOOKING AND STICKY ALSO BELLIES WERE BLOOD RED AND BACK LEGS...THEY JUST DIDN'T FEEL RIGHT...I HAVE RAISED DOGS FOR YEARS..ITALIAN GREYHOUNDS FOR 9 YEARS ...AND EVEN SCHNAUZERS AND DANES FOR MORE YEARS TOGETHER...I KNOW SOME BLOOD LOSS IS USUAL BUT THIS WASN'T NORMAL....OFCOURSE I AM WORRIED AS I HAVE ANOTHER LITTER ANYDAY AND ANOTHER IN 2 WEEKS....I AM NOT FEEDING ANY TREATS BUT WAS GIVING CHICKEN FILLETS I HAD PURCHASED FROM BJ'S THAT WERE MADE IN NEW JERSY...BUT REALLY NOW THINKING THEY WERE FROM CHINA AND HAVE ADVISED EVERYONE NOT TO EVEN TRUST BRANDS THAT SAY MADE IN AMERICA AS WE ARE BEING MISLEAD JUST FOR THE SALE OF THE PRODUCT

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
One thing to check for with any abnormal puppies and birthing is canine Herpes virus; you could have one of the dead puppies checked, or do a blood test of the mother.
You might also consider testing for Brucellosis.
I am sorry you and your dog went through this trauma. I hope the next litter is born without problems.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with. My condolences for the loss of these puppies.