How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vet_Dr.Drea Your Own Question
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 371
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Vet_Dr.Drea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some lantana and Rosemary that I have in my backyard

Customer Question

My dog ate some lantana and Rosemary that I have in my backyard garden and she's got diarrhea and hasn't eaten her food in two days. She's not playful and seems to be sick.
Are these plants toxic and what should I do to help her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.Unfortunately, both of these plants are toxic to dogs. Lanatana is a mild to moderate toxin that can cause depression/lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and weakness and if enough is ingested can cause liver damage or failure. Certain species of rosemary are moderately toxic as well and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and loss of appetite. Neither toxin is likely to be fatal, but secondary side effects such as severe dehydration can be. Since it sounds like this happened days ago, there is little that can be done in terms of preventing absorption but since she has clinical signs, monitoring and supportive case at a vet clinic would be ideal. If she has had diarrhea this long she likely also has dehydration, which can be dangerous or even fatal if severe enough. To help prevent severe dehydration I recommend (in addition to a trip to her vet) encouraging her to drink more water or fluid such as low-sodium chicken broth or pedialyte. Thank you for your question and I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer please rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Best,Dr. Drea