Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 20 pound dog got 1/2 of our 60 pound dogs dosage of Trifexin...are

Customer Question

My 20 pound dog got 1/2 of our 60 pound dogs dosage of Trifexin...are we okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Has your 20lb dog had trifexis before (of the appropriate dose)?
How long ago did this happen?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it gets a smaller dose monthly as well. Happened 45 mins ago
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So just to confirm, your dog received a 10-20 pound trifexis and then also 1/2 of a 40-60 pound dose? Or were they both the next size up on the scale (they both are marginally on two different sizes...)
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
The milbemycin won't be an issue within the trifexis but wan to clarify the spinosad dose to calculate the level of concern
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes...own dose then 1/2 of 60 lb dose
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
We see toxic effects when dogs eat more than 400 mg/kg of the spinosad medication, otherwise we will more likely see gi upset from this ingestion
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Yes but can you please read the label, the dosages are based on size and both are marginally on larger size pills. For example, 10-20 pounds, 20-40 pounds, 40-60 pounds, 60-80 pounds. I need to know which range both medications were in to assist you further
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Let's say we are on the higher end, 20-40 pound dose and 1/2 of a 60-80 pound dose. This would make the spinosad ingestion 560 mg & 810 mg= 1370 mg total. For your dog's size at 20 pounds = 9 kg would mean the ingested amount was 152 mg/kg which is way below the toxic threshold. This means that you might expect to see gi signs (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite) for 24 hours but then she should be feeling betterIf signs last more than 24 hours or there is blood in the stool or vomit, she is wobbly on her feet, or pale gums then it would be best to have your vet see her as soon as you are able...Please let me know if you have any additional questions but this is not a toxic dose if the higher dose was ingested and just 1/2 tablet of the large dog size If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am going to be signing off in a moment but wanted to make sure you had no additional questions before I go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're good! Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, glad to hear :)Good luck to you both, I hope there are no ill effects from this ingestion! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I wanted to check in on your little one to see if there were any issues with the trifexis ingestion yesterday? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!