Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 70 pound Labrador retriever ate the plastic covering (the

Customer Question

My 70 pound Labrador retriever ate the plastic covering (the one that is under the lid) off of a large yoghurt container (750 g). Does he need to go to the vet for induced vomiting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has it been since he ate it? 2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been about an hour. I'm not sure about the hydrogen peroxide. I can check...
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got some. It's old stuff, hope that doesn't matter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If it is expired and it will not work. Can you pick some in your local pharmacy within the hour?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should we do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
OK great! Give me a few minutes while I type your response.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
The concern would be a possible obstruction. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. 2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the plastic in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the plastic in the feces. Make sure you check the feces during the next few days; if you don't see the plastic in the feces within 48 hours I would have him checked by family vet for xrays with barium. 4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I mix it with a bit of ice cream?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I would not mix it with ice cream. Just squirt it directly into his mouth in between the teeth and cheeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't vomited and just seems sick and lethargic. I've given three doses. I'm a bit worried about going to sleep tonight and then leaving him unsupervised tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Do not give any more peroxide if he did not vomit after 3rd dose. Change his diet as we discussed above. I am uncertain how long he will be alone. But, he should be seen at least every 4-6 hours to make sure he is ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be asleep for 8 hours and then I'll be with him for an hour before leaving him. The dog walker will come three hours after that
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
He will be ok; if he develops symptoms they are going to be gradual so you will have plenty of time to seek veterinary help if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can he eat before bedtime?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Yes, absolutely.