Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Have an Lauderdale 10 yrs old. It seems she has the "als"dog

Customer Question

Have an Lauderdale 10 yrs old. It seems she has the "als"dog spinal gene problem. She is on medication but limbs are failing very fast. We have been told there is no cure. Is that true. Have her in an harness. So we can lift hind legs when needed. Is there anything else we can do. She was a rescue dog. Came to us when she was 7
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Casey is having issues with her rear legs, that can be terribly frustrating to see the decline and feel helpless. It looks like autocorrect changed "Airedale" to "Lauderdale" :)Although it is true that it is a progressive disease there are things that can be done to minimize progression including medications, physical therapy, acupuncture, laser therapy. Often this all can be done at one facility for convenience. If you are interested I can try to find someone near you that does this or you can also ask your veterinarian for a reference in the area? Hopefully there are options not too far away.I too have a dog that has a progressive back condition that has caused my dog to have weakness and degeneration in her back end and with the above treatments she has stabilized and actually has reduced dragging of her rear legs as a result of the therapy. As you can imagine it is pricey and not for everyone but is an option to consider for Casey...Please let me know if this information makes sense and anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult time. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!