Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog vomited earlier and about an hour later he peed on our

Customer Question

My dog vomited earlier and about an hour later he peed on our bed, and the urine was bright orange. We live in Africa and have no emergency vet to take him to tonight. We can take him to a vet in the morning, but how should we take care of him for the rest of the night?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Noodle vomited and then urinated bright orange urine on your bed an hour later.I am glad to hear that you plan on examination in the morning. Dark colored urine can indicate pri***** *****ver disease, red blood cell lysis (often due to tick borne infections), increased levels of muscle necrosis and dehydration.The most important things tonight are to keep him quiet, well hydrated, and to try and prevent any further vomiting.At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers and may help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.If there are no further episodes of vomiting 30-60 minutes after giving one of the acid reducers you can offer him small amounts of water, or low salt beef or chicken broth to drink, or ice cubes to lick. If he is refusing to drink on his own you can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into him orally as long as he isn't vomiting. If he seems less nauseous then try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or very lean boiled ground beef and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. Then have him examined promptly tomorrow morning.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Noodle. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara