Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Two months ago, my doggie could barely move. I took her to

Customer Question

Two months ago, my doggie could barely move. I took her to the vet and she felt that she had a head injury or stroke. She is moving fine now; but, her head is getting sunk in and her eye is beginning to close. She seems happy, now, and is somewhat active. She is 12 years old and weight is around 100 lbs. What more can I do for her. I live in a very remote part of the country and most of the vets here treat cattle or horses. Would a baby asprin be helpful to her? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to help you both today!May I ask is the area that is sunken in unilateral or only on one side of her face or both? Does she have a head tilt? Is her eye sunken into the socket as well?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that I missed you tonight, I am going to opt out to allow another expert to assist you when/ if you enter the chat and respond to the question I asked earlier this evening...good luck to you both, truly
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described facial muscle wasting in dogs. This defines atrophy of the muscles of mastication, mainly the temporal and masseter muscles. There are quite a few causes of such atrophy and they require advanced testing unavailable where you live to clarify. The etiologies include masticatory muscle myositis, muscular dystrophy, idiopathic polymyositis, and infections with both Neospora and Toxoplasmosis. I regret that it's impossible to know how you might best address her at this time but presumptive therapy with a glucocorticoid such as prednisone at a dose of 0.5-1 mg/lb every 12 hours for 14 days, then tapering over at least 4 weeks to 12 months or longer is reasonable in case either masticatory myositis or idiopathic polymyositis exists at this time. No, aspirin won't be of value. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.