Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I took my peke to vet because he was trying to throw up but

Customer Question

I took my peke to vet because he was trying to throw up but could not -- and he was not his usual peppy self. Vet started to prescribe something to soothe esophagus, but then this attempt to cough up started again. Vet decided to give him antibiotic shot instead. The attempt to throw up began after assistant and picket him up a few times to carry him to scale etc. etc. Now I'm home but dog is sort of drooling and panting in small short breaths. If I put my ear to his side, I can hear a slight wheeze with every breath. What to do now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, It does sound like this is most likely an upper respiratory infection. That can occur in the throat and make them present with rapid breathing, loud breathing, retching and gagging/ coughing. They may not have all of those signs, but they have some type of combination. The treatment is usually with antibiotics- Doxycycline or Clavamox or Azithromycin most commonly. If they are really irritated, I'll use Sucralfate in a slurry form to soothe the throat. It usually takes 3-5 days for the signs to stop. I typically treat for 7-10 days to make sure the signs don't come back once we stop therapy. If his breathing seems more labored or if his gums look pale or pink, then get him rechecked right away. Otherwise, I would just give him some time for the meds to work. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.