Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My poodle mix has few stools. His stools are black, stringy

Customer Question

My poodle mix has few stools. His stools are black, stringy with small dots everywhere. Is this a sign of something serious. He shows no signs of being lethargic.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. While it is very encouraging that Piccino does not seem lethargic at present nevertheless black stools are a cause for concern as this sometimes happens when there is bleeding into the intestinal tract, hopefully this is something minor in your case but yes there is a possibility that this is something serious. The fact he has fewer stools and they are stringy could also point to some form of partial obstruction. The small dots are not really suggestive of anything. 2. What to do about it? : Unfortunately there are not really any home remedies you can try in this sort of situation so really you would be best to have Piccino checked over by your vet sooner rather than later just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Piccino is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the appearance of his stools.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.