Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I took my dog to the vet 11 days ago. At that time he seemed

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet 11 days ago. At that time he seemed to be coughing or "choking" every other minute. He is a Yorkie, weighs 7 lbs and is 8 years old. Teddy has never been sick before.
The vet took x-rays and diagnosed Teddy with Bronchitis. (She showed me the x-ray and the fact that there was a lot of 'air' in his lungs). Sent me home with Clavamox (take 1 tab every 12 hrs) and Prednisone 2.5 mg (1 tab. every day for 7 days then 1 every other day.
Although initially he seemed to be getting better, he has some very real issues that I have never seen before. He started wrenching and swallowing following the wrenching. It has progressed to the point where he is wrenching far too much.
Last night, it escalated to the point where he could barely sleep. Today has fluctuated from a little less to a lot more of the wrenching behavior. He is exhausted and has lost some weight.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for the question. I'm also concerned about the retching that he's doing. This is not a common side effect of Clavamox or Prednisone. It can be seen with esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus), upper respiratory infections and megaesophagus (dilation of esophagus). I usually try to get chest x-rays with barium swallows on these guys. I have them swallow a contrast agent while shooting x-rays. That is to check for normal esophagus function. If the esophagus is dilated, then we can use meds to help with esophagitis and poor motility. I typically go with Metoclopramide for motility and Sucralfate slurries for irritation. I also encourage the owner to feed while elevated. That helps to use gravity. If the esophagus is normal, then it may just be something in the throat. In those dogs, I also like Sucralfate slurries as it coats whatever it touches. It helps to coat and soothe the tissue. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.