jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My Cairn terrier is 12 years old. He's overweight. About

Customer Question

My Cairn terrier is 12 years old. He's overweight. About a month ago he was nearly dying. We took him to vet #1. Xray showed no cancer, no throat or nasal obstruction, he kept on coughing,not eating, panting, squeaky cough, more panting, no food. No signs of cancer. The dr did see some cloudy white areas at the edge of his lungs.
the next week he was still a wreck so vet #2 had a look. He went through everything else and did a full blood panel. He is a very serious fellow and we had long periods of silence and I do believe he thought of everything. Gums were pink, blood tests showed nothing. The dog pulled it together and seems ok. However, now he is running around like a maniac, barking like crazy, runs up the pasture and we find him lying on his side. We call him he doesn't move. I pick him up then set him down and he's normal again but heis panting all the time and he seems very very anxious
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Your dog may have experienced a seizure even though there was no drooling or shaking. Seizures can manifest in many different ways. You can read about seizures and the different kinds here:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm
A dog may also "faint" in which they fall to the ground usually on their side, stare straight ahead and seem paralyzed which indicates a heart problem.. This is called syncope and can be read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/syncope-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2992
I would have your dog seen by your vet as soon as possible and limit your dog's activity until he can be seen in case it is heart related and not seizure related. If you have a video camera, and this happens again, taping the behavior will help your vet determine the cause.
I would suggest having him checked for a heart condition at this point. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.