petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I purchased a 12 week Papillon puppy on Saturday and

Customer Question

I purchased a 12 week Papillon puppy on Saturday and he has not eaten very much since I brought him home. His water intake seems okay and he is taking a worming pill (1/2 per day for 10 days). His stool is well formed and eyes are clear, no fever.
He sleeps most of the time, whines a lot while following you but does not appear to be in any pain. He has episodic bursts of energy and is affectionate when he deviates from chewing. I cannot reward him for any positive strides (housebreaking) since he refuses everything offered (i.e., boiled chicken breast, yogurt, carrots, Gerber chicken sticks - baby food. The breeder indicated if he still does not eat, force feed with syringe.
Yesterday, it took forever, but he is eating approximately 2 tablespoon of dry Royal Canin, extra small dry kibble since Saturday. That was provided by the breeder and each feeding is taking an hour as he is totally not interested in food of any kind and is most reluctant to eat. I must hand feed him with so much coaxing.
The breeder recommended waiting for 8 days for vet visit (part of contract language) but I am concerned that I should do more. His current weight is 5.2 lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am most anxious. Again thank you for your time and your response.
CD
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
.......
Your description of the situation is very thorough and it sounds as if he is not in serious distress, but in my opinion, any puppy of that age who does not eat much and cannot be coaxed to eat with human food needs to be examined by a veterinarian after a few days, even if they are acting otherwise normal. I would not wait a full 8 days or he will get dehydrated or even hypoglycemic. If you just picked up on Saturday and you can't get him eating by today, or tomorrow at the latest, you could run into problems.
.......
Puppyhood is the time when these dogs are most vulnerable to the canine viruses and other conditions that in older dogs would not be as hard to handle. Due to their small size alone, not eating or drinking well can takes a bigger toll on them. Puppies can experience anorexia due to the adjustment of moving into a new household, but it should not be allowed to go on for longer than a couple of days without intervention. Force feeding is not as effective as getting them to eat on their own and does lead to the risk of aspiration of food into the lungs.
.......
I do not understand why any breeder would have a contract that states no vet visit for 8 days. Perhaps that is referring only to pups that are not exhibiting any problems. In any case, it would be in his best interest to seek veterinary intervention soon if he doesn't come around.
....
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Dr. Z,
Thank you for your thorough response to my question. I have scheduled the appointment for Dash to see the Vet but appreciated your professionalism and medical knowledge. It is always wiser to err on the side of prudence. Again, thanks very much and if needed will contact again. Have a great week, Doctor!
Best regards,
dbershtein
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear! Please keep me posted as to what they find.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deirdre,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dashiel. How is everything going?

Dr Z