Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 9yr old Anatolian shepherd that has a bone

Customer Question

.I have a 9yr old Anatolian shepherd that has a bone lesion on his rear leg. He has had this for approx 10 mos. he's on meloxicam and tramadol. This morning however he woke me up and was acting strange. His eyes were sunken in and he didn't seem with it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your older fellow has had a bone lesion on his rear leg for approximately 10 months and this morning woke up behaving strangely and confused.Was the lesion on his leg ever biopsied and/or radiographed?Where is it located?Is it growing in size?Is there a tentative diagnosis for this lesion? Does the combination of Meloxicam and Tramadol seem to be controlling his pain? How long ago were these started?Certainly in a large breed dog we would think of bone cancer, especially if the lesion were located near the knee (but not crossing the joint), looked like it was proliferative at the edges (forming new bone) but lytic at the center (punched out areas of bone on radipgraphs). Without a biopsy we can not be certain though that this isn't a bacterial or fungal infection however.The two problems could be completely unrelated. At this age organ failure, or primary brain disease may be causing his change in mental status/awareness. But if there is a bone tumor then metastases to the brain is a possibility too. That would be difficult to prove without an MRI of his brain and visualizing metastatic lesions. I think at this point a veterinary visit is indicated. A thorough examination, focusing on his mental status and neurologic function is important. But I would also want to check a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and thyroid profile to evaluate him for other causes of changes in mental awareness.If those are normal then you could consider collecting a sample from his leg lesion of fungal and bacterial cultures and a biopsy of his lesion to look for characteristics of cancer.In the meantime there isn't much to be done at home except to keep him quiet and away from stairs so he doesn't hurt himself. Do be cautious around him as well, as he is a big fellow and may bite now due to his confusion, even if he was not aggressive in the past.Please let me know if you have any further questions.