Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4.5 month old puppy at 1 1/2 corn in the cob. She vomited

Customer Question

My 4.5 month old puppy at 1 1/2 corn in the cob. She vomited once, she ate some of it before I could clean it up. From what I have read on line this is deadly. What do I do???
Thank you,
Barbara ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did she eat this?
Did she chew it up or swallow it in one piece?
What is she bringing up in her vomit?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Any straining to pass feces or black stools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate these cobs around 1800. She vomited only her dog food, so far she is holding down water. Gums are pink and not sticky. No tenderness or pain. Has not had bowel movement yet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First if it has already been an this long, then our corn cob material likely already out of her stomach and into her intestines. Therefore,we need to tread with great care here.
Now since she has only vomited once and is showing no other signs, we do need to monitor and provide supportive care to see if we can get her to pass the cob material out her other end. Since she is a young dog, this is a situation where we need to be very vigilant because there is a possible risk of GI obstruction with at least one whole cob.
Therefore, at this point, we'd want to be monitoring her closely. For the next 24-48 hours, we'd want to make sure that her gut stays comfortable (which you can check by pressing on the belly to see if she has any tensing, discomfort, or pain --so far,so good with that). Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its stuck and would want to have her vet feel her stomach +/- xray to make sure there is no risk of any form of obstruction.
Otherwise, while monitoring, we would want to put her on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Furthermore, you can add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) to push the cob through the gut. And on top of this, you can also offer cat hair ball medication or add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) over the next few days to encourage the cob to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit more loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep the this from getting caught and get them out via her feces.
Overall, when dogs eat any non-edible items, we do have obstruction concerns. Still if it has already been this long, we are past a point where we'd want to monitor for the above signs and start the above supportive care to try to get her to pass this. Of course, if she gives you any hint of those worrying signs I noted, we'd want to have a check with her vet as soon as they are open, as an xray +/- possible surgical retrieval would be indicated. But hopefully with her being well so far, you may find that she will pass this for us within the next 24-48 hours.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, I will continue to watch my puppy. Would any high fiber additive be good or just pumpkin?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
We need to be carefully with additives, but high fiber bulky foods like pumpkin, all bran, or even carrot are usually helpful in these situations.
All the best, *****
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?

nekovet