Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is 8 years old German Shepherd. She is spade and has

Customer Question

My dog is 8 years old German Shepherd. She is spade and has been very active. She developed a small fatty lump on her back approx 3 cm 2 years ago but that has shrunk to half the size and has not caused her any issues. She has suddenly over 2 weeks developed a large lump under her front right armpit and one on her right side abdomen. Her abdomen is hard and bloated and she is lethargic and off her food. She does not want to get up and her stool this morning was runny but that is first time and all she has had is water for 24 hours. Her eyes are normal and she is not salivating more than usual. Her stool was not dark and her gums are normal colour. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. This is quite concerning. Any time an abdomen is hard and bloated, it is likely there is either a mass inside the abdomen, or the abdomen is filling with fluid such as blood or serum. These are all emergency issues. I would see your vet right away for an abdominal x-ray and possible ultrasound. This may be something that can be fixed with a simple surgery, or it could be something more terminal, but it is important to find out what is going on right away before this gets worse. The most likely cause would be a mass in the spleen, but there are many, many things that can cause this. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.