Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

Our dog, a yorkie-la sahapso mix, broke his leg about 7 weeks

Customer Question

our dog, a yorkie-la sahapso mix, broke his leg about 7 weeks ago. he was on a steriod and sedative by our vet (who i cannot get ahold of!!) and was in his kennel to heal. he went back for a checkup last thursday and he wasnt healing so the vet had us put him back in the kennel and start the steroid and sedative again. this evening, he began panting excessively, like when he is hot. he's really panting now and his belly is warm to the touch so we took out his blanket and put a sheet in his kennel. we dont know what to do. the first time he started the meds, he got diahhrea but didnt do the panting like this. we cannot find a thermometer to check his temp but his nose is wet but warm. What should we do??? Thank you!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Can you tell me the name of the medications he's currently taking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Acepromazine for sedation (1/2 pill twice a day. 1 pill = 10mg) which he was on before starting 6 weeks ago till 2 weeks ago and never acted this way. And Prednisone which he just started Thursday 6/18/15 ( 1/2 pill twice a day for 10 day. give 1/2 once a day for 10 days. give 1/4 pill once a day for 10 days)
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Couple of additional questions:Was the fracture repaired? If so, how? Surgery, cast?Was he on any pain medication following surgery?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I'll go ahead and provide the answer, in case you don't have a chance to provide additional information tonight...Prednisone can cause excessive panting but so can pain. Prednisone is an antiinflammatory medication, a steroid, but not an effective pain reliever; pain can be coming from the yet unhealed fracture or perhaps an infections has developed around the fracture site (prednisone can delay healing sometimes). Depending on method of repair (I assume there was no surgery), fracture healing can take a long time and pain can come and go. If the panting just started and while being on prednisone before, this excessive panting was not noted, it could be something else. I don't think anything other than what you've done needs to be done tonight, but I would recommend seeing your vet tomorrow, discontinuing prednisone, starting pain medication and evaluating him for signs of infection in the leg.... I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was his hip bone which the vet said had to heal itself by keeping him in a small kennel and on a sedative (same as l listed before) and Vetprofen (25 mg tablet 1/2 pill twice a day for 20 days)
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Was he ever on Vetprofen and prednisone at the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no he was not. I just took his temp with a normal thermometer anally and it said 101.2 but he is so hot i have to switch hands because me hand gets overly hot. He is just laying here unmoving and unresponsive to anything, panting
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Well the temperature is normal, so the panting may be coming from pain or something else; it's hard to say for sure without examining him of course, but I think it's concerning that's he's acting like this. I think it's probably best to have him looked at tonight (meaning a trip to the nearest vet ER) rather than waiting till tomorrow; I think it's better to find something less significant early, than wait and risk a potentially serious situation or more pain...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we dont have an emergency vet... i gave him a luke warm rinse which
has calmed his breathing but he is still really relaxed almost limp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we live in a small town and the vet isnt answering his cell
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
If there isn't an emergency clinic within driving distance you'll have to wait till tomorrow unfortunately... There's not anything safe or effective I can recommend medication wise or anything other than what you've already done for him. Try to make him as comfortable as you can and see your vet first thing in the morning... You must be very worried about him I'm sorry there's not much you can do. Talk to your get about some of the recommendations above and hopefully thinks will be better very soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so very much!!! we will get him to the vet first thing in the morning!! we appreciate your time and help!!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome! Hope things are going well.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
I wanted to check in with you and see how things were going. Have you had any new questions come up?