Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

10 yr. Chi swollen belly, hurts a bit & strange swallowing

Customer Question

10 yr. Chi swollen belly, hurts a bit & strange swallowing often (no food) followed by mouth movements and tongue sticking out & licking, Vet treated for worms, almost normal stool except comes out and breaks off in section, he's had the two worming pills in a couple of weeks,Vet said if the two pills didn't fix it, he'd give and injection, but didn't, instead a script for Prilosec. but is still doing retching, and is not his happy self. He gets walks and dog park everyday. In Dec. had a "minor" injury to trachea. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. At this point, I would have your vet take an x-ray of him, whole body, including the neck/pharynx area and see what it shows. There could be something stuck somewhere. If that is normal, I would do an exam of the larynx/pharynx area under anesthesia. If you would rather try medications first, I would ask the vet to try a Sucralfate slurry... crush a Sucralfate tablet and mix with water and squirt it in the mouth three times daily for a week. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.