Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 4.5 yr old Cory 46 pounds, is plugged up from eating grass

Customer Question

Our 4.5 yr old Cory 46 pounds, is plugged up from eating grass & hasn't eaten his food for two days. He normally eats everything set before him.
Yesterday & today he is throwing up green mucus & grass whenever he tries to drink water.
We are Very concerned!
What can we do?
Fran
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that your Jag is not feeling well and is vomitingMy primary concern is an obstruction at this point. The fact that he tends to eat things he possibly shouldn't and isn't holding down anything given orally are both red flags that this is a concern. I can give you some basic guidelines for gi upset but if he is continuing to not hold anything down or progressing to the signs I list at the end then please consider a veterinary er to determine if he is obstructed and requiring more intense care (iv fluids, iv medications to by pass the intestinal tract) than can be administered at home 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode and no food nor water during this time period2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Jag comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fran Walter,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jag. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman