Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has had what I would term a hairball cough. She had

Customer Question

My dog has had what I would term a hairball cough. She had kennel cough about 6 weeks ago, and it's very different then that. She is part Pom and has long hair. Is there anything I should do? I have cats, so I do have some of the salve that helps them. Should I give my dog some?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to help you both today!So sorry to hear your Pumpkin is showing signs of this cough!You can try to take her into the steam of the shower to see if that gives her some relief and try increasing the fiber in her diet as well to ensure there isn't anything caught in her throat (cooked white rice, canned pumpkin, carrots) as wellLastly a small amount of honey can also help soothe the throatI wouldn't use your cat hairball remedy to her though and try the above recommendations to decrease the coughing fits. As long as she is still active, happy, eating and the cough is not productive then allowing it to run its course with some increased fiber and the steam but if she becomes lethargic, reduced appetite, the cough is productive then it is time to be concerned and consider a veterinary visit. I hope this helps but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!