Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Vomits a couple of times a day, now has green loose stools just

Customer Question

vomits a couple of times a day, now has green loose stools
just traveled from Las Vegas, Nevada, to Mammoth, CA, to Mount Shasta, CA, to Corvallis, OR, and are now at summer residence in Gig Harbor, WA. Dog is 7 years old. I was sick last week vomiting, he was ok then.
Plan: no food, only water for 12 hours,
Gradually introduce food post 12 hours (boiled chicken and rice.)
Will take to vet tomorrow (Monday) if no improvement. Any other suggestions??
How about an anti acid?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,dog
had flu shot in Las Vegas, up to date on all vaccinations
parents (87 and 89 )sometimes feed the dog table scraps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI: I am a registered nurse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
hello, working on response.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Very tough question. This is very bad vomiting. A few times a day could suggest a severe gastritis, possible pancreatitis, or could even be associated with a reaction to the vaccine. But! There is also the horrible loose stools. So, without question, he needs to get in to any local vet for good suppotive therapy. An antacid? Yes, I will suggest something below, but it is not enough. He needs veterinary supportive care, likely in the form of medications like metronidazole (flagy) to help the intestines, and Cerenia, a great once a day anti-vomiting medication. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Yes, withholding food 12 hours is advised. Also, avoid all table scraps in future. Sometimes, we just don't know what a pet will react to negatively. Good LUck! Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** dosage information. Will take scrappy to vet tomorrow. Appreciate the advise. Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Hope it all works out okay. Good Luck