Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I pulled a tick off dog 2 days ago. Now there is a red swell/ring

Customer Question

i pulled a tick off dog 2 days ago. Now there is a red swell/ring and hair loss at the spot of the bite
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry to hear about this concern. It sounds like a tick bite reaction and the skin has gotten infected. It does happen quite often, and sometimes, can result if a piece of the tick head is still embedded within the skin. So, this will be well worth a vet visit to determine if a course of antibiotics will be necessary to start. Also, depending on where you live, your vet can determine if testing for a tick transmitted diseases is necessary at this time. That would include infections like lyme disease, ehrlichia or anaplasmosis. Hope that info helps. Sorry to hear about the complication. Right now, it is okay to put some triple antibiotic ointment over the bite site until the vet visit. Good Luck. Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chica. How is everything going?