Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a Yorkie that is 11 years old. He has seizures once

Customer Question

I have a Yorkie that is 11 years old. He has seizures once in a while and has his whole life. Sometimes a couple of days after having a seizure his back legs get so stiff that he can barely walk and stairs are impossible. Do you have any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Since these seizures are not frequent, this is most likely due to Epilepsy. With this disease , they can have gran mal seizures that you have seen and also petite mal seizure which can be what is causng your sweet Buddy's stiff back legs. It is best to consult your vet since it may be time for anti seizure medication to stop this part. Buddy may also have severe arthritis that can be aggravated due to the seizure prior to this. Only your vet can determine this.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Deann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta