Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 2-year old Boston Terrier ate some bamboo leaves and thru

Customer Question

My 2-year old Boston Terrier ate some bamboo leaves and thru up a couple of times before breakfast. I don't know if she has thrown up all the leaves and now won't eat this morning. Is there anything I can give her to quiet her stomach?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
These leaves can cause a digestive disturbance...it is good that she has vomited a few times since this will remove some of these. For now , the best thing to do is to follow these instructions:
Fast sweet Luci for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Luci back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Bill Eck,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luci. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is fine. Thanks. Bill
Thanks for the update, Bill...I am so happy that Luci is doing well.
Have a great day, Bill...Luci too!!