Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What do you do if dog got in pantry & eat a lot of choclat

Customer Question

What do you do if dog got in pantry & eat a lot of choclate
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate? 2- Type of chocolate? 3- How many ounces did he eat? 4- How much does your dog weigh? 5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6-8 hours
She eat several things, dogs treats, trash, a 16 oz bag of milk chocolate chips, marshmallows & who knows what else. She is a 100lb female lab
Yes we have peroxide
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has thrown up twice that we know of
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is she showing any symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
What was in the vomit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, she is very lethargic and can barely walk. The vomit was mostly clear
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, after 6-8 hours inducing vomiting with peroxide is not going to help; typically we need to induce vomiting within 2 hours of ingestion. Plus, she is already vomiting. At this stage unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. The best option is having her seen immediately by ER veterinarian for supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetics, monitor her heart, etc.). I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If you don't have access to ER veterinarian this is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter