Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our 8 lb Poodles shoulder is dislocated from to the groomers,

Customer Question

Our 8 lb Poodles shoulder is dislocated from to the groomers, its been a bout 3 weeks now ive seen our local vet who saw him and did x rays and tried to put it back in and it has atrophied so much it falls back out. he referred me to a board certified surgeon who did more xrays, which i said not to, due to cost & the day prior i had his x rays done, I gave vet a day old copy of them, he said hell have to do surgery which is ok, to either pin it or fuse or to take his right arm off!!!!!! it and its going to cost me aprox 3k to 4k and he kept telling me how nice my watch was and my wedding ring was. and that he is the only type of doctor that can preform such a procedure on him.
**Is this true?
**Can any other vet do a surgery for Koda that will do just the same type of repair or do they Have to be a (board certified) doctor?
** Can I leave his arm as is for now or permanently? with out any more damage to him?,
Its the cost that I (can not) produce for Koda, & little Koda Bear doesn't seem to be in pain any longer,
**Can he be helped by a regular vet that doesn't cost so much????, or another procedure to help him?, other than amputating his arm.
** Any suggestions??? Please!!!
Thank you ***** ***** (###) ###-####
Paso Robles, Ca 93446
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...Did the groomer acknowledge fault?Is Koda otherwise healthy?Has your regular vet seen him yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the groomer did not and yes he is healthy yes he has been seen please read my comments all of these questions that you have for me
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.I would absolutely, positively get a second opinion from a different vet.Any vet who does routine surgery could remove that leg...however, if he's not painful (which you stated he isn't), then it might not be a bad idea to ask the second opinion vet if he thinks that there will be more damage if nothing is done.If he suggests that surgery is the only option, there are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area.I would definitely start with a secon opinion though.