Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 9 month golden ret... Has a uti what can I give her at home

Customer Question

My 9 month golden ret... Has a uti what can I give her at home to help, we do not have a vet open on the weekends
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you and Remington today!So sorry to hear she might have a urinary tract infection (UTI) Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.Second beginning cranberry chews for her which should be available at your local pet store or if unavailable you can purchase the pill formula for people and for an average Golden give 500 mg daily to increase the acidity of the urine which therefore decreases the bacterial attachment of the bladder.Lastly, begin doing a wipe after urination with a baby wipe to reduce any mucus or discharge that is accumulating in the area which can result in exacerbating a UTI. You can also wipe between urination periods if the discharge is building up. No licking please which introduces oral bacteria to the area and can exacerbate a UTI. On Monday, collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine. Your vet will run a urinalysis to start, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms but very likely with her age ruling out the UTI and beginning antibiotics soonafter will be the steps taken for RemingtonPlease let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with tonight! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am signing off for tonight but will return in the morning to see if you have responded with any additional questions or concerns.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Remington. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman