Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

What causes grayish clouding in a dogs eyes. dog is 8 year

Customer Question

what causes grayish clouding in a dogs eyes. dog is 8 year old australian shepard.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Tucker's eyes. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. It depends where in the eye you are seeing the gray clouding. It is normal for dogs in middle age or older to develop "lenticular sclerosis" in the lens of the eye, which sits behind the pupil (opening in the iris, the color part of the eye). These dogs have a cloudy gray appearance, but just in the pupil.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If the cloudiness is on the surface of the eye, the cornea, that is not normal. It can mean different things: autoimmune eye disease, injury to the cornea, glaucoma, infection. There is a condition called "pannus" where the cornea gets cloudy, and can be related to getting a lot of sunlight.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Dogs can also develop cataracts, in the lens, so again it is only seen in the pupil of the eye. Cataracts are white, and look like ground glass.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tucker. How is everything going?