Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has episodes of panting She will sit outside in the

Customer Question

My dog has episodes of panting She will sit outside in the rain or lay in the dirt to cool She has no tick diseases I need to help her as I cannot bath her everyday or really have her in the house These episodes disappeared for a week or so and she was fine but is at it again,will not come when called and runs away from me.... Any clues? She is a Schnoodle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While such panting is an important symptom, it's not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Excessive panting can represent both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity. I understand that you didn't come to this site to be told that she needs to see her vet but that's the best advice I can give you at this time. I, too, would need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and possibly imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound in order to clarify why she has these episodes of panting. Please tell me how old she is, is she spayed, and if there are any other symptoms of illness that you're seeing - inappetence, vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing, coughing, lameness, etc.
Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?