Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I am thinking about adopting a 2 yo yorkie-poo who is currently

Customer Question

I am thinking about adopting a 2 yo yorkie-poo who is currently being treated for Parvo. Is that a wise decision. I read that there can be lingering cardiac issues?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
The cardiac condition you're referring to is a weakening of the heart muscles due to a septic endocarditis - invasion of the heart muscle by the parvovirus. Thankfully, this isn't a common event but, yes, there is a small risk of that occurring. We can ultrasound the heart of such a patient to see if there's any evidence of such infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. I'm a Sr.Citizen and don't have much additional cash to pay for a chronic illness in a pup I'm thinking of adopting. So in my search for a new companion it's important that I know what diseases he/she may have. I don't know much about parvo other than it's bad. If it's curable I would be happy to adopt him. Thanks, Kathy
In almost all cases, parvo patients who pull through never suffer from parvo again in their lifetime. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?