Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Please help me! I have been to the vet twice in the last week.

Customer Question

Please help me! I have been to the vet twice in the last week. Rufus is almost 100 pound lab/rot mix. He has been regurgitating everything for almost a week. The first vet visit, they said he was not dehydrated, gave him an anti nausea shot and a prescription for panacur and Metronidazole. The fecal smear came back clear but they were thinking tape worm. The throwing up continued. Took him back and got another nausea shot and was told I have to give the meds time to work. He is still getting sick. He has a great appetite but just throws it all back up. I'm getting scared. Not sure what to do!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
I too am quite worried about your dog. I want to confirm that your veterinarian did more than just give him medication. Did he already have complete lab work that included a complete blood count, chemistry profile and urinalysis. And did he have radiographs (X-rays)? These are all critical, given his issues to determine what is going on.
I also need to confirm is he actually regurgitating or is he vomiting. BIG difference. If he is actually regurgitating which means there is no actual heaving associated with the stuff that comes up - he really just opens his mouth and it all reappears, then this points to an esophageal problem such as megaesophagus or other abnormality with the esophagus. This is critical he have chest X-rays reviewed by a board certified radiologist immediately. There is potential treatment for this but it can sometimes be very tough to contend with. He would also be at high risk for pneumonia.
Alternatively, and this sounds more likely, he actually is vomiting. This could be due to a long list of potential problems ranging from primary stomach issue (foreign object in stomach, ulceration, tumor, infection, etc) to organ issue (liver, kidney) to pancreatitis to inflammatory bowel disease to cancer and the list continues. IT really will require the testing mentioned above. If that was already done and he has been given super anti-vomtiing medications which are not working (and we are sure this is a vomit and not a regurgitation) then this requires a next step of endoscopy or surgical exploratory to look at the stomach and get a biopsy. This usually will get our answer.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey