Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have an english mastiff. 3 y.o. Over the past two weeks he's

Customer Question

I have an english mastiff. 3 y.o. Over the past two weeks he's slowly stopped eating. His ribs are showing. He's lethargic, thirsty, vomits during the night. He's drooling a lot, licking his front legs incessantly and has some white discharge from his eyes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds very concerning for Max. If not already done, these are symptoms that warrant an immediate veterinary visit for an evaluation and some testing.
I wish I could provide you an exact diagnosis for his symptoms, but his signs are vague and could indicate any one of a long list of possible issues ranging from ingestion of unusual item that is trapped in his digestive tract to organ failure (liver, kidney) to toxin exposure to primary stomach issue (ulcer, polyp, infection, etc), and the list continues.
My top recommendation would be to have him seen today as soon as you can especially if his veterinarian is open today. He needs a complete examination followed by some testing that may include a CBC, chemistry profile and urine check +/- stool check (good to take a sample with you) and X-rays. After this we should have a good idea of what is going on.
If you are unable to have him seen today and he was my patient I may recommend you try the following but if still not improved then he must be seen:
1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. You may substitute cottage cheese for the chicken if he does not like chicken but not both.
2) Give famotidine 20mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.
3) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey