Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 3yr female springer has had 3 seizures in the space

Customer Question

hi My 3yr female springer has had 3 seizures in the space of 8mths ,she is normally in good health but suffers to various degrees with false pregnancy after being in season she never had pups she is just our pet.The first seizure was out of the blue ,we took her on a 5min car journey to vets for her booster injection previous to that she was in good health bright alert and happy.On getting out of the car at vets place she started nose to the ground and sniffing for abt 2mins in case she needed to toilet before we went into vet building nose down tail wagging all of a sudden she started jerking ,fell to the ground lots of saliva ,empty bladder eyes rolloing for abt 2mins it stopped and she was dazed looking.saw vet told him what happened then took her home to recover and to bring her down the following day and the exact same thing happened .(that was in December)we left off visits till after winter .she came in season in march she looked ok after it .but 5wks later she was leaking milk so we took her 5mins in car to vets got out car sniffed for a min then she just went into a seizure it lasted for best part of 4mins poor thing was totally out of it told vet waited till she recovered gave us antibiotics and galastop formula and to bring her back in a few days .we are worried it will cause her to have a seizure again .She has travelled in car periodically and been fine .maybe she does not like car anymore .the vets area is shared by other companys with lots of large storage containers all around it seems as soon as she gets a sniff of the ground there its sets her off is this a possibility?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
It does sound like something about the stress of the journey and the vet may cause her to have the seizures, if this is the ONLY time she has seizures. I have had at least one patient that did this. There are several options for this. First, is to premeditate her going to the veterinarian with a drug such as diazepam (valium) and see if that works. The second is to have a mobile veterinarian visit you for her annual exam.
At this point, if not already done, it is very critical she have some lab work to look for any underlying problems that could cause seizures. Second, you should really consider having her spayed as remaining intact can be a contributing factor to seizures in epileptics. There is no blood test that can be done to find out if she has epilepsy; this is a diagnosis of exclusion (we rule out everything else and are left with this).
If, however, she is having seizures at times not related to the travel and entering vet clinic, then it is time to consider starting her on a medication to control seizures. She has had enough in a short period of time to warrant this. There are many choices for medications that you can discuss with your veterinarian ranging from potassium bromide to phenobarbital to zonisamide to Keppra.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.