Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took my dog into the vet today and he immediately took xrays and a sonogram from seeing

Customer Question

I took my dog into the vet today and he immediately took xrays and a sonogram from seeing his swollen belly.he could not find anything that looked like a tumor, but assumed that it was because he could see poop in parts of his colon than a large area of nothing. My dog ate used tampons last week, would they show on the sonogram? Would a tampon be mistaken for a tumor?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has Dank had any issues with the tampon? Any vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, straining, or belly pain?
Did they mention seeing any fluid on xray or ultrasound?
Was all the could see was feces? Nothing else abnormal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been vomiting almost daily while we have been at work since moving into our new house 3 weeks ago, but only while at work, never when we are home. And he got into the trash last week They did not mention seeing any fluid. Here are his xrays.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
What is he bringing up in those vomits?
Is he keeping food down?
Was the possible tampon exposure just last week then, not at the start of the vomiting?
What treatments did his vet try so far?
When did he last past stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just has bile in his vomit and is keeping food down just fine. The tampon exposure was after the vomiting started, but it started the first day we went to work after moving in, no symptoms before which is why i was thinking the vomit is stress related and thinking a tampon may be blocking his colon. The vet didn't give any treatment, he just assumed the space in his colon where poop was not present was a tumor and told me to just let him die. That is why I'm praying and trying to find out if a possible tampon could be the reason a void of nothing showed on the sonogram. He said it was a few centimeters big, the size of a used tampon. He past a stool last night, soft but not diarrhea. And past stool again this morning, which was diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that was an odd thing for your vet to say. The black space in the colon just looks like gas on the xray. There is no sign of a tumor as far as I can see. And yes, a tampon could cause a blockage such that stool would be blocked and only gas would be seen. That said, if he is passing diarrhea that isn't liquid, that makes a blockage less likely. And I would note that usually dogs with blockages are vomiting food not just bile when their owner is away.
Therefore, in this case, we have a few options. First, to get a better look at the gut (since gas makes meaningful ultrasound very limited) and lot of stool in the GI can make xray difficult to interpret; you could consider fasting him by withholding food and having these tests repeated. That way you can see clearly what is going on.
Similarly, if there is doubt, you can request your vet to send the pictures from the xray and ultrasound to a veterinary radiologist (most vet schools and private referral centers have one). That way they can be reviewed by a specialist with training in interpreting these tests to give you the best idea of what is actually there.
Otherwise, I would note that you could try some supportive care to see if we can reduce that nausea and get his gut passing material (and anything caught normally. Therefore, to start, I would suggest trying him on an antacid to see if you can settle his stomach. There are a range that are pet safe on the OTC market and specifically you could consider trying:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Otherwise, while trying to settle his nausea, you can consider putting him on small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin (or all-bran) to bulk up his stools to push any lurking tampon through the gut.
Overall, the xray doesn't really give us a clear sign of what is causing his signs. That said a tampon is possible since they are not radio-opaque and often difficult to differentiate from soft tissue (so it could be mistaken for a growth or tumor ). So, I would advise the above to settle his stomach and see if we can pass anything stuck. Otherwise, we'd want to consider fasting him with a view to repeating those imaging tests to see what is there better and get a definitive diagnosis for him.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jonathan Gooden,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dank. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a tumor and I have to sit back and watch him die
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry to hear that is what they found.
Has your vet sent these xrays to any surgical specialists to see if they can surgically remove it (if it is too difficult for your general practice vet)?