Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My bischon frise (5 yrs old) had thrown up maybe an hour and

Customer Question

my bischon frise (5 yrs old) had thrown up maybe an hour and a half ago but I figured that's just because he didn't eat enough (he is very passive agressive when it comes to him eating- very nervous of my other dog, even though my other dog is his same size and has never snipped at him at all) but he just had diarrhea that was virtually all blood. I fed him some of my left over eggs last night, as well as my other dog who's about 2 years younger, again he is the same size and is a maltese mix. After Spanky, the bischon, had his diarrhea, 45 mins later my other dog had- what I would describe to be as "normal looking" diarrhea. He is fine now. As far as Spanky goes, I've never seen this before...Taking him to a vet right now is going to be financially devistating... I also have to work tomorrow until the afternoon. He seems to be fine, wagging his tail and has drank lots of water... I know taking him to the vet right now would be the best, ***** ***** much of an emergency does this sound like?...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert jumping in to answer you.
This is an emergency if the vomit and diarrhea is persisting and if this is very bloody (perhaps straight blood or looks like strawberry jam) because then, given his breed, I worry this may be a condition called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). HGE can become rapidly life threatening due to the fluid and blood loss, but is very easily treatable with hospitalization and intravenous fluid therapy.
Alternatively, if not bloody then another indication this is an emergency situation is if he is profusely vomtiing and have continuous diarrhea. He is just too small to be able to account for that level of fluid loss. And contending with this at home is virtually impossible since anything we give by mouth will come right back up.
If he seems fine this morning with no further vomit, good attitude and interested in food then here are a few recommendations I might recommend if he was my patient that you could try at home (keeping in mind if anything I mentioned above occurs, then this becomes an emergency situation):
1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. You may substitute cottage cheese for the chicken but do not give both.
2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.
3) Peptobismol liquid: Give 1 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.
4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.