Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My medium sized dog (a rescue) is not himself tonite. He is

Customer Question

My medium sized dog (a rescue) is not himself tonite. He is just laying around. Panting, and was quivering earlier. He eats moist dog food ( with a little "people food " meat) mixed in. He is a house puppy, with a fenced yard. He will be 2 in Aug. has had all his shots. He won't go to his bed tonite. Lay in my lap a couple of hours. I'm just an old worried lady.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Is he having trouble walking or jumping up?Any vomiting or diarrhea?Does he seem uncomfortable when you squeeze his belly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just lethargic
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
What color are his gums - pink or pale?Any trouble or labored breathing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are pink, and he seems to be panting, maybe not quite as bad.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am very sorry to hear that he is lethargic and was shaking earlier. His symptoms are concerning since he will not go to bed tonight. Unfortunately his symptoms are somewhat vague therefore giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult without an exam. Some of the most common causes of shaking and panting in dogs is pain, anxiety, fear, and being too warm or cold. An infection causing a fever is also a possible cause. Some of the more common causes of pain would be back pain such as:- IVDD - intervertebral disc disease - basically a bulging disc in the spine that causes some pressure on the spinal cord, back muscles. This can be mild enough to cause some pain or unfortunately more severe to where the disc material pushes on the spinal cord enough to cause paralysis to the back legs.- Muscle strain/sprain or soft tissue injury - This is the same thing that happens commonly in people. The muscles tighten up and can cause quite a bit of discomfort. At this point, if he cannot get comfortable or rest tonight, then he should be taken to a vet for an exam and to get more help as he may need some pain medications to make him feel better. I can understand that taking him to a vet is not always possible though therefore if you wanted to give something for pain that is over the counter you could use buffered or enteric coated aspirin. The dose is 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Even though this is safe some dogs can develop an upset stomach therefore if you see any vomiting or diarrhea then I would stop the aspirin. Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to answer me?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay,I just finished typing your answer and posted it above your last question.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to review my answer. Can I help you with any other questions?