Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Shortly after feeding my dogs something off of my dinner fork, I noticed that he had gott

Customer Question

Shortly after feeding my dogs something off of my dinner fork, I noticed that he had gotten to an animal in the yard– – Should I be concerned after sharing a fork with him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. When you say " gotten to an animal in the yard " what exactly happened, can you give me a few more details?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed the fur on the rough of his neck had slobber on it, and some blood on his chin but I could not find the animal… In years past this is meant that he's found a possum or somesuch…
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. As far as your health is concerned if this had happened to me I would not be at all concerned since the chances of any disease passing this way would be very remote indeed, in fact many organisms if ingested would be inactivated by your stomach acids. Still you never know, so if you are further concerned or if any odd symptoms occur then be sure consult your doctor without delay. Of course clean the fork thoroughly ... 2. As far any wounds on your dog go, if there are any and if you can locate them you may be able to handle the situation by washing them with warm salt water twice a day and then applying the likes of Neosporin. Do this for three or four days but if any obvious infection sets in then your dog may need antibiotics from your vet. 3. If your dog's rabies vaccines are up to date then you would have no particular worries on that score but if in doubt you should contact your local vet to see what needs to done. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Andrea,
I am just checking back in to see how you are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect possum encounter.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Andrea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?